Monday, August 10, 2009

How long should the classes be?

I have been reading several comments in the forums at http://www.ravelry.com about class length.

I teach two different 2-hours workshops:
  • 1 for Knit, Purl, Cast off, and Cast on
  • 1 for Inc/Dec/Seaming/Pattern Reading

I have landed on 2 hours because I think that 2 hours is starting to push the limits of maintaining a student's attention. (Although some students seem to be really caught up in the subject by that time, and are surprised that the time has gone by so quickly!)

Some teachers only teach for an hour. I think that this is too short a time for adults. Also, the students could conceivably spend more time driving to/from my home than for the actual lesson.

I feel that 3 hours is probably too long, but I have never tried it.

I landed on 2 hours primarily because that was what was done at the local Michael's store, where I was doing the volunteer teaching part of getting the Craft Yarn Council of America knitting teacher certification.

Anyway, 2 hour classes work for me. What do you do? Please comment.

Thanks


Judy Obee
My Knitting Website

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. I teach a mix of class lengths. I have taught three hours. For example, in my sock class, it takes about three hours to get through the heel. Not all of that time is intense instruction of course, but time for knitting. I would agree, though, that two hours is probably a good limit for technique and skills classes.

    ReplyDelete